Friday, December 4, 2009
The Godzilla Collection - $36
- 8 discs/7 movies - These remastered discs include the original Japanese version of each movie and the 'americanized' version. There is not a lot of difference in the latter films but the original Japanese version of Godzilla is an ultra-fantastic piece of work, completely and markedly different from the American version. The transfers on these movies are stunning as well. Highly highly recommended!
Abbott and Costello: The Complete Universal Pictures Collection - $57
- 15 discs/28 movies - Another staple of Saturday/Sunday morning UHF tv in the 1970's, Abbott and Costello are perhaps best loved these days for their series of 'monster' movies that included characters from Universal's 'golden' age of monster movies. Includes the movie IT AIN'T HAY, which was previously unreleased in the individual sets.
Icons of Sci-Fi: Toho Collection
- 3 discs/3 movies - Toho was a very prolific Japanese studio that was most known (in the US) for the Godzilla series of movies but they also were very prolific producers in other genres including science fiction. Here are three great examples of this output - including one 'monster' movie - MOTHRA.
The Val Lewton Horror Collection (Cat People / The Curse of the Cat People / I Walked with a Zombie / The Body Snatcher / Isle of the Dead / Bedlam / The Leopard Man / The Ghost Ship / The Seventh Victim / Shadows in the Dark)
- 5 discs/9 movies/646 minutes of classic horror goodness - Highly recommended for the classic horror film buff! Val Lewton had a knack for creating great atmosphere (the black and white actually helps immensely) and a real creepiness abounds in many of his films. It's not blood and gore like modern films (of which I do like) but different. This is as good a place as any to start if you are unfamiliar with Val's work.
Get Smart - The Complete Series Gift Set
- 25 discs/5 seasons/3952 minutes (approximately 66 hours!) - Don Adams was most famous for his role as Maxwell Smart in this witty 1960's spoof. Steer clear of the recent movie and stick to the original. It's sometimes a bit corny after forty years but it always brings a smile to my face! Barbara Feldon also stars as the ultra-sexy Agent 99.
Wonder Woman - The Complete Collection
- 11 discs/3 seasons - I got this set for $6 from Big Lots back when they got a lone shipment of $3 and $6 season sets but it's still a heck of a good deal at $35. LYnda Carter still looks great and the series is a fun trip back through childhood memories.
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - The Complete Series - $99
- 41 discs/4 seasons - I used to own a few of these episodes on laserdiscs but I paid about $30 for each two episode disc!!! Now I can get the whole set in a really cool attache case for less than a hundred bucks? Unreal. The case is cardboard though so you won't be able to use it on any spy missions of your own.
Kung Fu - The Complete Series Collection - $34
- 11 discs/3 seasons - another groundbreaking series from the 70's that is just as good as you remember it to be! The late David Carradine stars.
Gilligan's Island - The Complete Series Collection - $34
- 9 discs/3 seasons - I wouldn't recommend this to someone that never saw it but for those of us who grew up watching it it's a fun trip down memory lane for sure.
Don't forget that Amazon has FREE shipping on any order over $25!
Posted by Adam Gott at 6:23 AM